The Playhouse, built in 1875 by Jefferson’s Hebrew Sinai Congregation, on the corner of Henderson and Market streets, was used as their place of worship until the mid-1950’s.
In 1955, the Jessie Allen Wise Garden Club, founded in 1939, held the first performance of the Diamond Bessie Murder Trial in the historic synagogue. The garden club purchased the synagogue and adjacent convent/school, now known as the Ruth Lester Memorial, in 1966.
NOTE: Thanks to grants and donations, the Ruth Lester House and The Jefferson Playhouse are undergoing extensive renovations. These properties are not available for rent at this time.